<$BlogRSDURL$>

18 November 2003

"the good, the bad, and the ugly"

shit happens. we all know this. it happens when you lease expect it. thank goodness days like this don't happen often, or i may just spend the rest of my life curled in a ball, on the couch, at home (wait, maybe that wouldn't be so bad.....)

yesterday started out as an average day. i arrived at work at 7:00 AM (ok, it was 7:12 AM), played on the internet, did some work, text messaged, ate lunch, more text messaging, a little more work, etc. 3:30 PM finally arrived. i headed to my car to grab my other work clothes, that's when it all began. my front right tire was FLAT! no big deal, you think, right? just toss on the spare and be on your way....that was my first thought as well. i did just that. but there's a real problem when your spare tire to your new car is flat too. my friend vanessa offered to take me to the conoco to fill up my tires with air, so we put the full size tire in the truck and starting jacking the car back up to take the spare off and be on my way. that's when the jack decided to break!

i didn't want to waste anymore time, i was supposed to be at work at 4:00 PM, by now it's 3:50 PM. vanessa and i just got in her car and went to fill up my full size tire. when we got back, my friend dj had found another jack and had the car ready to go. since there were no leaks and no holes in the tire, we decided to take our chances and put the tire back on the car. i drove around the parking lot a couple times for a test run and headed for the freeway. vanessa followed me for awhile and when things looked okay, she drove by, i gave her a nod, she passed me and headed home.

right after she passed me, i heard a strange noise. i was in the left lane, so i cut across the carpool lane to get on the side of the freeway. mid-carpool lane, my tire completely blew out! so there i was, stuck on the side of the road, blown out tire, no spare, and now, over an hour late for work.

i call my dad, he works just down the road and i figured i catch him before he headed home. unfortunately, he was already home, but he's my dad and he's the greatest man on earth (and i'm not just saying this because of yesterday) so he came to the rescue. in the meantime, highway patrol guy, we'll call him 'dick', pulled up behind me. he didn't ask, "how can i help you?", or even "do you need a tissue to wipe all the tears and snot from your face?", but instead tells me i have 30 minutes to move my car or he will have it impounded because it is illegal to be pulled over on the left side of the freeway. thanks dick! was i supposed to cut across one lane of traffic or 4 when my tire blew out? so he puts his orange marker on my window to mark what time it was and went on his way. 10 minutes later my dad arrives. i jump in his car with my spare and my blown out tire and head to the greatest tire store on earth. Les Schwab. i love them forever and ever, amen.

vanessa calls me back after seeing my missed call and asks what she can do. i told her about mr. dick, so she volunteered to go sit behind my car on the freeway with her hazards to scare him off. dad and i got a new tire and filled up the spare in 5 minutes flat! we got back on the freeway and lo and behold, my car and vanessa were still there waiting. dad changed the tire and sent me on my way. i arrived at work 2 hours late in my now ghetto fabulous car with a missing hubcap (?) and orange writing on the windows.

but hey, it could have been worse, right?

***fyi.....i found out last night that Les Schwab will come and bring you a new tire or help you change your flat anywhere for no more than $30. the guy i spoke with said if i was close by they'd do it for free! that's for those of you without a fabulous father like mine around or someone that can help and you don't want to spend a fortune to get the car towed!***

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?