<$BlogRSDURL$>

28 April 2003

"mean people suck"

Because this is MY website, I feel I can talk badly (or, at times, sweetly) about anything I want. This is only to save you from making the same mistakes I have....

Upon arrival to Antigua, Jen and I knew it would be quite the challenge to find a spanish school, as there are nearly 100 to choose from. We walked around the town and asked different students where they studied and how they liked it. We went with the school, Cabaguil (thanks Bylgja!). They gave us a slight discount because we were two. Jen´s teacher was Raphael, mine was Mary. The second day we were in Antigua, we moved in with a family and started classes. Sounds good, right?

I completed my 4 weeks of classes, Jen completed 2 (remember, she went back to Mexico with Renee). After 4 weeks, Jen and I decided to leave for Honduras and perhaps return for one more week of classes during Semana Santa.

This is where the troubles began....

2 days before departure, one of the secretaries in the office claimed that I had only paid for 3 weeks of classes and that I owed them $100 more. I have been paying every single solitary Thursday from week 1...and she knew this...but neither of us had the reciept to prove it. Which leads me to some VERY important travel advice....ALWAYS ask for and keep reciepts of any kind throughout your travels! The other secretary was calling me, coming to my house and blaming me for screwing up. How dare anyone question my integrity! They stated I would need to pay them $50 and they would pay the other $50. I was not about to pay for a mistake that they had made.

Jen and I were going to leave some belongings at the school instead of hauling it all to Utila with us, but because of this situation, we decided it would be best to carry our things with us. We were both expecting packages from home...mine included 12 rolls of film and Jen´s has her new VISA card and some perscriptions. We told the school we would be returning in 2 weeks for another week of classes and that we were both expecting packages. They promised a reservation with our same family and to just let them know when we´d return.

2 weeks later, I called the school from Honduras to let them know we´d be returning that night and needed to confirm that we had a place to stay. This secretary told us our original family´s home was full, but gave us another address. We arrived back in Antigua and went to the address they provided for us. It was 11:30 PM. We had been on a bus for nearly 9 hours. We were dirty, hungry, and tired. We knocked and knocked...no one answered. We luckily found a hostal.

The next morning, we went to the school. My package was there. Jen´s was not.

Now here Jen and I patiently sit in Antigua, waiting....AND waiting for a package from Jen´s mom. Jen´s card expires in 3 days and we were to leave El Salvador last Thursday. We still have 2 countries to visit in, now, 13 days.

Today Jen and Renee decided to go directly to the post office to see if they had any record of this package. Apparently this package WAS delivered and signed for by this certain secretary on April 20th!!! 8 days ago. 8 days we have paid for a hostal, and waited. 8 days that we have gone into the school and specifically asked if this package had arrived. 8 days of this secretary lying to us!

The fishy thing is, this secretary thinks I am Jen...and that Jen is me. So perhaps she has been keeping this package ransom because of a mistake she made with my money. Renee let her know that tomorrow we will be talking to the director of the school and if necessary, the police. I will be sure to keep you posted (that is, if you have read this far and care to find out...I know, BORING blog today)

Bottom Line...if you plan to study school in Antigua, avoid Cabaguil. I loved my teacher, but unfortunetly the administration is dishonest.

MOVING FORWARD

My dear friends from Iceland left for home this morning. Bylgja, Arnol, and Heidrun....I miss you already! Let me know when you make it home alive!!! This has got to be one of the worst parts of travelling. Meeting wonderful people and knowing you may never see them again.

El Salvador tomorrow?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?