<$BlogRSDURL$>

18 April 2003

"I´ll take you there"

Imagine yourself on an tropical island. And island in the Caribbean. And island where your days consist of diving in the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world. Deep dives, wreck dives, navigation dives, naturalist dives, drift dives, AND night dives. Seeing HUGE green morays, turtles, Butterfly fish, Queen Angel fish, Long Nose Bat fish, shrimp, crabs, lobster, and Captain Hook (the barracuda that staulked Jen and I for 45 minutes!)....etc. Lying in a hammock under a palm tree on the beach, snorkeling, siestas, fresh fish BBQ´s (gotta love Dave´s cookin´), full moons, shooting stars, being barefoot for days at a time, table dancing, ´cielo´, Salva Vidas, skinny dippin´, sunsets, friends, laughter, no cars, no telephones, no air conditioning, Baleadas, bars on docks, getting ´narked´...

An island where you go with the intention of staying for one week TOPS, and where the most heard line is ¨We are leaving tomorrow¨ and tomorrow turns out to be the next day and the next....

An island where the water works 50% of the time and the power is on the other 50%...

An island where music is always playing, people are always smiling and the sun is always shining....

That is Utila. The island where I spent 2 weeks. And island where I fell in love with diving, new friends, and life!

I wish I had the words to express how amazing this island was and the feelings I had while on it. I wish I had my digital camera to show you all the wonderful things I saw, all the fabulous friends I met, and how beautiful this island is. If I had the money and time, I´m afraid I would have never left. But sadly, Monday morning, after saying ¨We´re leaving tomorrow...¨ for the hundredth time, we really left. The magic felt on this island will never be forgotten. Oh Utila....¨sigh¨

Today Jen and I are back in Antigua enjoying the Semana Santa festivities. There is nothing like celebrating Easter in a Central American country, especially in Antigua. The streets come alive with processions, sand dust carpets, and people from all over the world. It is nice to be back...but a part of me will always be on my little island paradise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?