<$BlogRSDURL$>

03 March 2003

"Gringos"

One thing I've learned abroad is that people (aka. other travellers) do NOT like Americans.

Why you ask?

I think Sol says it best...

"I have at least a blog or two on "THE UGLY AMERICAN". Why the big, bold, cap letters? Funny, this may be a shocker to a lot of you *it was to me*, but traveling, in general, is a most shameful, head-hanging, red-faced, dust-kicking experience for Americans. The plain fact is, we are ignorant people. And, everyone knows it....except for us. A favorite game of many un-Americans is "Quiz The Dumb American". It goes a little like this:

"What´s the difference between Amsterdam, The Netherlands and Holland?"
"Who´s the Prime Minister of France?"
"Name one significant issue of your neighbor Canada?"
"On what continent is Bolivia?"
"Can you say anything besides "beer" in another language?"


Always followed by the stinging, "Wait....silly me. Sometimes we too forget that a world exists outside of the States". Yeah. Ouch. The people of Central America have even more founded bitterness. I´ve quickly learned, that many simple, hasty (and almost always completely self-motivated) decisions on the part of OUR government have, for instance, thrown Guatemala and San Salvador into YEARS of civil war and social unrest. It´s ugly peoples. Displaying a red-white-blue flag on your body or baggage is pretty much an open invitation to scowls and spit. You can spot a Canadian from a state away, with their flag patches and body tattoos screaming out in declaration, "I may look like an American, but I´m NOT, NOT, NOT!"

I have been humbled. Now I just play the game, take the punches, and try my damndest to break the stereotype. I consider every, "hey...you´re the first American I´ve met that..." a small conquest in repairing the bad name. It´s an important warning to other travelers though. When we´re on the road, we represent everything that is the "USA". Also, as a "American Traveler", we have to do everything possible to break that pretty image of the frat boy in his "Tommy" t-shirt, passed out, in his own puke, on the street. Which, I´m so sad to report, I have seen on the road...more than once."


Now I wish I could have said that all myself, but really...I'm not a writer...I'm not pretending to be. I only wanted to keep a website to keep my family, friends, and anyone else that comes across this site and loves to travel informed. People (mostly other travelers...not from the US) DO think these things about us and I too am trying my "damndest" to break this stereotype...although, sadly, there are many out there that make it impossible.

ANYWAY, sorry about the tangent....let's move on...

This weekend we went to Jen's spanish teachers soccer (fotbol) and took many chicken buses, including a ride to Chichicastenago. Chichi is a HUGE Guatemalan market and every Sunday and Thursday people gather to buy goods. And believe me, I bought! I got many good deals and gifts for you all....and in 3 short months, I will hand them over.

On the bright side of things....my VISA card arrived and I am independant once again. No more, "Um, hey, Jen....I am out of cash, can we go to the ATM..." I am FREE! So thanks Jen, I love ya babe!

And a HUGE thanks to Julia for donating to my travel fund! YOU ARE THE BEST! And yes, I will teach your children spanish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?