<$BlogRSDURL$>

19 December 2002

"Burn One Down"

"Because there was nowhere to go but everywhere"-- Jack Kerouac, On the Road

Less than 5 minutes ago I put my letter of resignation on my bosses' desk. He knew it was coming. They've all known for months. My idea to up and leave the country wasn't an over night decision. It's something I've dreamed of ever since Laura first began speaking of 'Costa Rica'. This was 2 years ago. "Rich Coast" is the Spanish translation. The more I started thinking about it, reading about it, hearing about it, asking about it...I knew I needed to be there, and all the countries that surround the area. But how? Can someone like me really sale their car, quit their job, leave their loved ones, and backpack across an entire nation?

I'm the girl who got her first job at a video store at 16. I worked a few days a week, made a crappy wage, and learned life lessons I will never forget. I worked at this video store until I returned from Europe in 1997 and began working here. This job has gotten me through college, in fact, they paid for half of every semesters tuition. I have worked in 3 different buildings, working 4 different jobs, meeting many friends, and working very hard. When I completed my degree, I had a few different supervisors call me so I could work on their teams. What a compliment! I have loved almost everyone I've come in contact with at this department. I've worked nearly every Monday through Friday for 5 years! (except an occasional trip to Mexico, California, Vegas, Chicago, New Orleans, Key West, North Carolina, Jackson Hole, Moab...okay so maybe I did miss a few days....)

But I've never been away from Utah for longer than a few weeks. I'm the girl who has followed all the rules. I graduated from high school, went straight to college, finished 4 years later, got a 'real' job, etc. I'm not the girl anyone expected to pack it all up and walk away. My own grandfather who I adore more than anyone will know said to me "I thought you had more sense than to do something like this." But if I've learned one thing it's this, no matter what I do, it will piss someone off. I cannot please everyone. I am not here to please everyone. I am living my life the best I can for me. I don't have all the answers. I can't be like you. I don't even want to be. I will never intentionally hurt you on purpose, but at times, you may be hurt and I am sincerely sorry. If reading this website makes you angry and you don't like what you see....don't read it. But this IS me. I am sensible, practical, good-hearted, and curious. I will make the best decision I can in any given situation I am placed in. Don't worry about me. Believe in me! Like my college professor perfectly described me, I like planned spontaneity. It may seem as if I'm just whisking away to some exotic foreign land, but I have studied each country, I know approximately how long I will be in each one, where we'll stay, how we'll get from place to place, and what we'll do when we get there. If at any point along my journey you have questions or concerns, ask me!

"...whoever you are, whatever it is that you do, when you really want something, it's because that desire originated in the soul of the universe. It's your mission on earth. To realize one's Personal Legend is a person's only real obligation." -- "The Alchemist", Paulo Coelho

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?